It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rear Ballast leaking out drain
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm 
Team Axis

I noticed when riding that I see some water leaking out the drain holes on the sides from the rear ballasts.

I thought I read that some of you buy plugs to stick there? Or am I missing another option?
It doesn't really seem like much water is lost.

Post subject: Re: Rear Ballast leaking out drain
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:15 am 
Team Axis

I have the same issue on my 2013 A20. Rear left drains more than the right but has happened to both. Any solutions other than plugs? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 am 
Team Axis

Just leave the pumps on all the time...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am 
Team Axis

Leaking out after full is no big deal. They usually drain off a little of the extra pressure and not much after that. If I'm out for a long day I'll occasionally turn the fill pumps on.

The problem that people are using plugs for is the water will start leaking out the drain before the tank/bag is full. This can cause fill times to increase.

Both can be fixed by rerouting drain tubing to opposite sides or making them longer/higher but unless you are losing a ton of water I would not worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 am 
Team Axis

Correct me if i'm wrong; the bags drain to the hard tank and then out right? So actually i'm just backfilling the hard tank?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:56 am 
Team Axis

gixxer wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong; the bags drain to the hard tank and then out right? So actually i'm just backfilling the hard tank?
Yes and no.

When you fill, the bag and the tank will swell with the pressure. The drain pump does not create a seal and with the added pressure of the swollen bag and tank it will forces its way past the drain pump and drain out the side of the boat. Once the bags and tanks reach a more relaxed state they will stop pushing past the drain pump. When you ride the extra pressure of bow rise can also cause some water to drain off in the same way too.

If they are continuously draining it may be siphon draining through the bottom (fill) through hull. This can be fixed with anti-siphon valve or a check valve.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:23 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks. That gives me a solution or two. Dealer never heard of the problem and had NO answer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:35 pm 
Team Axis

gixxer wrote:
Thanks. That gives me a solution or two. Dealer never heard of the problem and had NO answer.
If you are losing water and you are not seeing it pouring out the side of the boat then siphon draining is the likely problem. If you follow the tubing off the fill pump it should head up as high as it can go and at the top should be a "U" shaped anti siphon valve.

When you drive it creates a vacuum on the bottom side thru hulls and can suck the water back out. The anti-siphon valve breaks the vacume.