It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Searching for the right boat!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:16 pm 

I'm new to the forum and currently have a Chap 21H20. My son is outgrowing it and so we are looking for a good multi sport boat for less than $100k. I have narrowed it down to the MOJO and the A22. Pro's and Con's are fairly even so any input would be greatly appreciated. How big of a pain is it to raise/lower the wedge throughout the day? Is it needed with surf/wakeboard?
With the MOJO, you can level the boat when wakeboarding with the port/stbd tabs, can the AXIS do that with ballasts? We rode it today and one side was huge while the other was washed out.
Surf Wake is HUGE! This boat had max ballast with plug n play, was very nice!
Are there any big changes coming in 18 to the A22 worth waiting for?
The bow rise was significant in this boat without the wedge down, is there a method to defeat that? I have never owned a true tow boat before so just asking the questions so I don't kick myself in the rear after the purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Searching for the right boat!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 pm 
Team Axis

Wait 2-3 weeks and buy a 2018 with power wedge...not that lowering the wedge was a problem, it's just a push of a button now!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 pm 
Team Axis

Shrayray wrote:
How big of a pain is it to raise/lower the wedge throughout the day? Is it needed with surf/wakeboard?
It is no problem at all. My 10 year old was doing it for us when we bought our boat 2 years ago. It's super simple.

With the MOJO, you can level the boat when wakeboarding with the port/stbd tabs, can the AXIS do that with ballasts? We rode it today and one side was huge while the other was washed out. Just turn on the ballast pump on the side you want to clean up, or drop ballast from opposite side. It's not as fast as trim tabs, but 30secs to a minute is all it takes.

Surf Wake is HUGE! This boat had max ballast with plug n play, was very nice! The 15'-18' T23 has a much larger surf wave and the new A24 is supposed to be even better for 2018

Are there any big changes coming in 18 to the A22 worth waiting for? See comment above...POWER WEDGE :D

The bow rise was significant in this boat without the wedge down, is there a method to defeat that? you need more weight in the bow. All Malibu and Axis boats need extra weight. Lead, or additional bow bag on top of seats...or 3 adults sitting up there will solve the problem. Also buy a $200 seat riser from the eBay seller in Utah. We did a group buy with him...awesome product!

I have never owned a true tow boat before so just asking the questions so I don't kick myself in the rear after the purchase.Don't buy ANYTHING until you test drive and test ride a few times each. Tell the dealer to bring extra bags to simulate people, to get more bow weight..etc! My own piece of advice: buy a bigger engine than you think you need... than come thank me in 2 years

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 pm 

Thank you sled, great info. I asked the dealer if the wedge was changing in 18 and he said it wasn't. I consider that a pretty big deal.

Just curious, why does the T23 have larger surf wave? Is it the hull?

I asked for the bow sac for the demo so they put the 950 up front and it still jumped up pretty good. I'm sure a couple pax would help up front.

I appreciate the advice on bigger engine, been considering that...

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 pm 
Boater

I have a 2015 Axis A20, and the wakes are awesome for a 20 ft. The build quality has been a big disappointment. That's my 10 cents... I'm looking at selling and getting into a used Nautique. Take a look at used Nautiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 pm 
Team Axis

Shrayray wrote:
Thank you sled, great info. I asked the dealer if the wedge was changing in 18 and he said it wasn't. I consider that a pretty big deal.

Just curious, why does the T23 have larger surf wave? Is it the hull?

I asked for the bow sac for the demo so they put the 950 up front and it still jumped up pretty good. I'm sure a couple pax would help up front.

I appreciate the advice on bigger engine, been considering that...

Thanks

You outta kick that salesperson in the sack for being an idiot and/or lying to you. What a tool for telling you no changes, on likely the single largest upgrade since surf gate on these boats!!!

The T23 is heavy, the hull design and the amount of weight it can displace make a huge wave. Even the old A24 guys that have ridden both, say the T23 throws a nicer surf wave. The new 18 A24 is supposedly (internet rumors and dealers that have ridden them already) the best boat in all of Malibu's/Axis lineup. I certainly hope it's true, as mine gets sprayed tomorrow at the factory!

So you need the 3 PNP bags plus additional weight on top of the seat in the bow, or lead under the seats in the nose cone area. More bow weight will get you a substantially longer wave and keep the bow rise in check. The T23 doesn't have as big of a bow, so it helps "tip" the boat forward better due to helm position.

As you saw above, the build quality at times can be a dissappoint. I demoed 5 different brands and looked at boats up to 130k. I came back to Axis for a reason...the simplicity of creating an awesome wave/wake and the value is unbeatable. When you add the fact that the wave can be a monster if setup correctly...there was only 1 comparable boat I considered besides the Axis. It was a Centurion RI237, but I have no local dealer. So that killdeer it right there. The wave on the RI237 was unbelievable, but you need a 3/4ton truck to dare tow it anywhere! Oh and another $20-$35k!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:58 am 
Team Axis

You should message Thatguy. He had a T22 and just got a Mojo I think?
I think he mostly surfs but he could share his experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:06 pm 

I'd add to this as well that there is a new 22.5' Moomba model dropping anyday now that might be the best yet. I'm in a similar situation. I'd wait for that new moomba to drop to compare the A22 to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 pm 

I have a 15 A22. Manual wedge is no big deal to me. Recently I haven't been using the wedge to surf, seems to keep the regular side a little cleaner. Don't need it for wakeboarding either, but it makes it the wake more poppy with a more significant lip. Meaty and mellow wedge up. My personal thoughts on the A22 are the surf wake is great (T23 even better from what I hear), the wakeboard wake is ridiculous. So very good behind the boat. I personally don't like the pickle fork look, but the bow space is great. I like the simplicity of the controls, no digital fanciness to break. The big ding is the interior materials look like left over packing material. Hilariously bad. The way I see it is the $s goes to experience behind the boat over interior and boat features. Depends on what you want. My neighbor just got a 17 Mojo. I saw it out of the water but haven't ridden behind it. The interior is significantly better than the A22. It really looks and feels quality. Also stayed mostly true to plain switches and gauges which is nice. I hope to ride it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:11 pm 
Team Axis

I have had an A22, surfed behind a Moomba 24', & a new LSV 23, & a friend just bought a new Moomba Mojo w the auto wake stuff. Not being biased but, my T23 has the best wave out of alll. & the easiest to setup. The LSV is good too, but $20-30k more & has that touch screen. The Mojo has a really short wave, I have mentioned to him it looks like he needs more weight, but his rebuttal is he doesn't want to lose the storage.