It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Searching for the right boat!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 pm 
Team Axis

Moomba makes a solid boat. I was between the Axis and Moomba last year. On paper it was pretty close. I liked a lot of things about the Moomba over the Axis. I ended up going with the Axis because, in my opinion, both the wave and the wake were hands down much better with the Axis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:38 am 

Thanks again for all your feedback!
I am riding behind the CRAZ Thursday, not a lot of MOJO's around to ride behind. I will give you my .02 after riding.
I wonder why Moomba would come out with a 22.5' boat when they have one on either side of that? What's going to be different?
I've heard you need to add weight to MOOMBA for better wake but we had to do the same for A22. The dealer bought it and installed bow and both rear sumo sacs after my comments and invited us back. Huge difference with loaded ballast but the boat steered like manual steering. The last CRAZ I was on, full ballast didn't feel like that. Of course, that might be the sacrifice for that wake, it was big.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am 
Team Axis

Shrayray wrote:
Thanks again for all your feedback!
I am riding behind the CRAZ Thursday, not a lot of MOJO's around to ride behind. I will give you my .02 after riding.
I wonder why Moomba would come out with a 22.5' boat when they have one on either side of that? What's going to be different?
I've heard you need to add weight to MOOMBA for better wake but we had to do the same for A22. The dealer bought it and installed bow and both rear sumo sacs after my comments and invited us back. Huge difference with loaded ballast but the boat steered like manual steering. The last CRAZ I was on, full ballast didn't feel like that. Of course, that might be the sacrifice for that wake, it was big.

Was the difficult steering while you were surfing? As that was the only time I ever had an issue. It's due to the surf gates being deployed. Beyond that, it should handle and steer just fine under big weight.

Have that same dealer install another bag on top of fronts seats and try it out with all 4 bags full. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 pm 

No, the ballasts were full, the wedge was up and gates were in, just tough to steer, especially to port side. I drive the moomba tomorrow, we'll see soon.

If the mojo doesn't work, you folks got me thinking of the 18 T23 or A24.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am 
Team Axis

Whatever you get, plan on spending some solo time learning the differences between driving a i/o and a v-drive. Watch some videos. Get used to maneuvering at slow speed, because steering is very different. LEARN HOW TO BACK UP. You have virtually no control backing up. With a little practice, you'll be able to virtually spin the boat around in one spot without much effort (helpful when maneuvering in and around docks).

Hang out a few more days and look for the 18s! We love our 17 T23, but power wedge and bathtub seats would make it even better!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:01 am 
Team Axis

MULakeHound wrote:
Whatever you get, plan on spending some solo time learning the differences between driving a i/o and a v-drive. Watch some videos. Get used to maneuvering at slow speed, because steering is very different. LEARN HOW TO BACK UP. You have virtually no control backing up. With a little practice, you'll be able to virtually spin the boat around in one spot without much effort (helpful when maneuvering in and around docks).

Hang out a few more days and look for the 18s! We love our 17 T23, but power wedge and bathtub seats would make it even better!!!

what are bath tub seats?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:18 am 
Team Axis

T style where the fiberglass continues from the floor up to the seat tops, rather than a separate piece of fiberglass which forms the seat bases. I think the A's have bathtub seats, while the T's (like mine) have a separate piece which is covered by carpet. The redesigns might also have rear surfview seating on tracks (rather than the big seat that you can move from over the transmission hump).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:36 pm 

So, rode the MOJO, not impressed by wake/wave. I think the moomba's lines are better and looks more a boat and not as boxy as A22 and drives better than the Axis. However, the wake/wave is not comparable, Axis is huge on both. When on the water, it's all about the entertainment so Axis wins hands down.
Riding a 2016 22 vlx tomorrow to compare, not to concerned with the technology as I am the wake so we will see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:50 pm 
Team Axis

Shrayray wrote:
So, rode the MOJO, not impressed by wake/wave. I think the moomba's lines are better and looks more a boat and not as boxy as A22 and drives better than the Axis. However, the wake/wave is not comparable, Axis is huge on both. When on the water, it's all about the entertainment so Axis wins hands down.
Riding a 2016 22 vlx tomorrow to compare, not to concerned with the technology as I am the wake so we will see.

You're going about it the right way. Test drive them all...

You're experience on the Mojo was my experience as well. A friend of a friend got sold on one last season, wanted to sink it after riding behind my T23. He only test drove a Mojo...hard lesson learned.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:51 am 

I may be going about it right, but I'm about done, ready to be finished with boat shopping and enjoying it on the water for the remainder of summer... This Malibu I'm driving today is a 2016 "new" boat. Dealers brother had it for two years, put 20 hrs on it. They are coming off $$$ so makes it hard to pass up if wake/wave is good. Only thing im not sure of is the diamond hull but I like to ski too so it may be a plus. I think today is the day, A22 or 22VLX! Will let you know...