It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Flywheel Problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:05 pm 
Team Axis

Has anybody here had a problem with their flywheel? My 2011 A22 AR335 stopped starting. I figured it was the starter bendix because i could hear the motor running but the engine was not turning. Replaced the starter to find i have the same problem. I looked at the teeth on the flywheel and they look fine. After closer inspection the whole ring gear has moved 1/2" away from the starter.

How much of a pain is it to pull the trans or should I pull the engine and trans and split them out of the boat?

Post subject: Re: Flywheel Problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:26 pm 
Team Axis

You have a unique issue. So is the problem the starter isn't touching the flywheel?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:41 pm 

1/2" which way? Apologies in advance if you know all this already... The bendix throws the gear on the starter out a 1/2" or so to catch the flywheel then it retracts. It goes out on the axis of the starter shaft. Sometime the bendix craps out and will not extend anymore. When it does that you hear the starter spin but it won't catch the flywheel. Is this what's happening?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:21 pm 
Team Axis

kapieyow wrote:
1/2" which way? Apologies in advance if you know all this already... The bendix throws the gear on the starter out a 1/2" or so to catch the flywheel then it retracts. It goes out on the axis of the starter shaft. Sometime the bendix craps out and will not extend anymore. When it does that you hear the starter spin but it won't catch the flywheel. Is this what's happening?

This

There is no way that your flywheel has moved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 am 
Team Axis

Chevy starters have to be shimmed height wise to mesh correctly with the ring gear sometimes.
But I have seen ring gears break free and just spin on the flywheel as some are only pressed on with no welds.
Pull the starter and wedge something between the ring gear and bellhousing then turn the engine by hand and see if the flywheel turns but ring gear does not and let us know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:58 am 
Team Axis

The starter is "top mount" which means its reverse mounted on the bellhousing not bottom mouny like the traditional sbc. The ring gear has moved toward the engine and away from the starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:03 am 
Team Axis

uhhh, the teeth on that flywheel do NOT look fine to me. They look destroyed on the right and left side. Something is not right, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 am 
Team Axis

Looks like ring gear is broken free, see the rust line. And teeth are fine on each side is the bellhousing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 am 
Team Axis

dustinjean wrote:
Looks like ring gear is broken free, see the rust line. And teeth are fine on each side is the bellhousing

+1

Here is a video that details how to replace it once it's removed. Chances are you'll probably want to just take the whole assembly to a transmission shop and have them do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sgiTa3gew

I have removed the transmission from an Axis. I would recommend removing the rear seat back and the carpeted panel. From there, you

remove ECM bracket and get it out of the way
disconnect the shaft underneath
wiring from 2 sensors
shift linkage
oil cooler hoses
put supports under engine to hold it while the transmission is removed
remove trans mounts. removing from boat is easier, but if you want to pull the trans without pulling the bell housing, you'll need to pull them off the trans too, which is a pain in the ass, but possible.
unbolt the trans from the bell housing, or the bell housing from the engine. I didn't pull the bell housing, you may need to take more stuff apart to get it off.

I probably left off some steps, but that's the bulk of the work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:06 am 
Team Axis

boardjnky4 wrote:
uhhh, the teeth on that flywheel do NOT look fine to me. They look destroyed on the right and left side. Something is not right, that's for sure.

Its the shadows that make it look like the teeth are gone.

Thanks for the step by step