It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Wake surf speed in river how to adjust up and down river
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:50 am 
Team Axis

thanks for the replies i will get a paddle wheel, what i am really trying to figure out it is how does the river effect the push of the wave? if i am going up river and have a nice wave does the river that is traveling approx 5 mph( mighty niagara).. effect the push of the wake and conversely down river how might it effect push.

If it effects it at all??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:40 am 
Team Axis

buffaxis wrote:
thanks for the replies i will get a paddle wheel, what i am really trying to figure out it is how does the river effect the push of the wave? if i am going up river and have a nice wave does the river that is traveling approx 5 mph( mighty niagara).. effect the push of the wake and conversely down river how might it effect push.

We don't notice a huge difference except for how hard the boat has to work..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:23 am 
Team Axis

r33pwrd wrote:
buffaxis wrote:

Don't have much choice I'm on the niagara river.. have the whole place to myself.. usually glassed out. i upped the speed to 11. dropped the wedge took out the huge amount of wake in front and the push was noticeable . had people way back on the wake and not feeling like hitting the boat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:26 am 
Team Axis

buffaxis wrote:
r33pwrd wrote:
buffaxis wrote:

Don't have much choice I'm on the niagara river.. have the whole place to myself.. usually glassed out. i upped the speed to 11. dropped the wedge took out the huge amount of wake in front and the push was noticeable . had people way back on the wake and not feeling like hitting the boat

Play with your speed.. We have never had these issues but I'll bet it's speed related not current.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 pm 
Team Axis

I am on a river with a 7mph current. I surf regular and for me, it is very noticeable if I am going with or against the current. I only surf the regular side going against the current at 10.6-11mph. If I need to go with the current, I surf the goofy side and practice riding on my heels. That side is naturally a bit meatier wave due to the prop rotation. Plus I am still learning to ride on my heels, so I don't need to ride back as far as I like to when riding regular.

It took us a bit to figure out why we kept loosing the wave going with the current, but like I said, it is very noticeable as far as how far back I can ride and the push of the wave. I also get a really nice lip going against, that fades out going with the current.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm 
Team Axis

I can second that, the wave is much better against the current!

Post subject: Direction and depth matters in rivers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 pm 
Team Axis

we surf in a river most of the time. Paddlewheel gives repeatable speed, but there are places in the river where the wake sux - especially going up-river. The bottom topography can make upwellings and other odd-ball currents that mess the wake up that are independent of forward speed. Basically the deeper the better and the flatter the bottom the better. Once you identify the bad spots on your river you can either know to turn around, swing around them, or toss the rope to the surfer for a couple minutes until after you pass the known bad spots.

Post subject: Re: Direction and depth matters in rivers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:15 pm 
Team Axis

WayneTuttle wrote:
we surf in a river most of the time. Paddlewheel gives repeatable speed, but there are places in the river where the wake sux - especially going up-river. The bottom topography can make upwellings and other odd-ball currents that mess the wake up that are independent of forward speed. Basically the deeper the better and the flatter the bottom the better. Once you identify the bad spots on your river you can either know to turn around, swing around them, or toss the rope to the surfer for a couple minutes until after you pass the known bad spots.

I never thought about that issue. My spot is 40-50 feet deep, so we have no issues as far as depth...