It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Gel Coat Repair Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am 
Boater

Lets hear your thoughts and advice if its worth trying the repair with the spectrum gel coat or taking it in for repair. Im pretty handy and the whole process looks fairly straight forward.

So I got my first boo boo loading back on the trailer by myself with my daughter yesterday. She's 3 so its was one man job loading yesterday. To make a long story short the starboard trailer guide cover came off when getting her on the trailer (the launch is pretty standard with the water level where its at here right now, however the guides were still a foot above water and this ones fallen off twice now), and before I could fully winch it in fully there was enough chop the boat rubbed its side on the metal pole before i could get it set or the cover back on. Some luck. I have been babying my boat at the docks and loading and am super bummed. Any tricks to keep the guides from coming off? I dont think i was too deep with the trailer

It looks to me to be only superficial but it did chip the gel coat by the rub rail almost to the fiberglass, no structural damage, the side looks pretty easy to fix myself and same by the rub rail as long as the rail doesnt need to come off.

Do you think its just gel repair or does the dealer need to pull the rail to fix that spot? The rub rail isn't damaged at all as you can see it just the gel that chipped out. I don't want to mess with it if the rail needs to come off.

Attachments:
image3.JPG
image3.JPG [ 15.85 KiB | Viewed 25710 times ]
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 20.19 KiB | Viewed 25710 times ]
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 21.76 KiB | Viewed 25710 times ]

Post subject: Re: Gel Coat Repair Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:47 pm 
Boater

Ill add I'm super impressed with malibu/axis customer service, they got me the exact color match gel coat information just now with no wait on the phone. Ill post pics when i touch it up for those interested in their own gel coat repair. The wake world diy and youtube videos are super informative

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm 
Team Axis

It's easy to repair just have patience with the wet sanding and buffing and you will be ok

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 pm 
Team Axis

You got that, it's not that hard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm 
Team Axis

The part up under the rub rail will be a bit of a pain, but you should be able to get it looking new. I have done a couple of small repairs and I can't even find them anymore.

I wet sand stepping to the finest grit I can get my hands on. I polish with a DA polisher starting with wool and stepping through a kit of 3 foam pads I got from chemical guys. Each pad is less aggressive than the last.

I use hula boat care compound for polishing, hula wax then hula sealer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 am 
Team Axis

vanamp wrote:
The part up under the rub rail will be a bit of a pain

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep.

Honestly it's easy to drop the rub rail and I recommend doing it for something that close to it. It will make the wet sanding and buffing easier since you are going to be right against the rail if it's on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm 
Boater

Thanks guys, you have reassured me its the right choice for 30bucks for product and my time vs a few hours of cost at the dealer. Ill post the pics in a few weeks when i get the product and time. Plan on boating all fall and most of winter here in socal!

I got a few other small spots that were nicked from the get go on delivery from the showroom to touch up too, dealer said they'd cover those at first service but I'm probably going to be doing all the old and fluids myself anyhow- minus the shaft alignment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:52 pm 
Boater

Have the gel coat, still have yet to start to fix the scratch, been too busy with the ca season and it's just a blemish till the off season! Will post pics when I get to it

Iboats and spectrum color were great with the hull I'd to get a factory match.