It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bow Bag T23 question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm 
Team Axis

I can't seem to find the old thread so I will post a question here. Last summer we had our plug and play bow bag draining while we wakeboarded or surfed.

The three hoses that connect to the bow bag. One has a check valve and that should be the fill line?
The other two lines. Is one an overflow and one a drain? Is the drain hose would be attached to a pump?

If all that is correct, could I then place ball valves in the drain hose and even one in the overflow hose and I could turn these off to prevent draiining after I fill the bow bag?

Post subject: Re: Bow Bag T23 question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:22 pm 
Team Axis

JohnnyBravo wrote:
I can't seem to find the old thread so I will post a question here. Last summer we had our plug and play bow bag draining while we wakeboarded or surfed.

The three hoses that connect to the bow bag. One has a check valve and that should be the fill line?
The other two lines. Is one an overflow and one a drain? Is the drain hose would be attached to a pump?

If all that is correct, could I then place ball valves in the drain hose and even one in the overflow hose and I could turn these off to prevent draiining after I fill the bow bag?

Yes, the hose with the check valve is the fill, the line right next to that is the drain, the other line higher up is the overflow/vent line. That's how my 16 A20 is atleast. What bag are you running?

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:11 pm 
Team Axis

I believe it is the sumo 650. It only fills part way under the seat but when we surf it seems to empty itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:14 am 
Boater

I have a '16 T22 with sumo 650 in bow. As said the hose with check valve is fill. Connect this to the right side, starboard, rear connection. You can confirm the empty hose by turning on empty switch and listening to hose. Connect empty to port rear connection. Final hose, vent hose, connect on top.
I also had an issue with the bag draining down. There was no water coming out of the vent port or drain port on side of boat. I bet you will notice the same thing. The only way the bag was draining was back through fill line/check valve. I was going to try a better check valve and was thinking about adding a ball valve possibly as well but found a solution that worked as a temp fix. I removed the center seat cushion when bow bag was full so that nobody would sit in the center of bow. This must have released just enough pressure so that the check valve wasn't pushed back the other way and water allowed to drain. I never had an issue after that. Bag held solid the rest of the fall and never drained. I think ultimately the check valve used from factory is too small or weak to handle the pressure created by filling bag to max. You could also try filling the bag so that isn't really pushing against the compartment and seat base very much and putting additional people in the bow for weight. I have a feeling the check valve would hold that way also.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:12 am 
Team Axis

Mine was siphoning back through the fill piping as well... you could fill the check-valve fail due to the amount of reverse pressure.

removed check valve and installed a ball-valve... all good.

18 Monterey 278SSC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:37 am 
Team Axis

So if I can't figure out where its draining I could put a ball valve on to replace check-valve on fill line and put in a ball-valve on the drain line.

Kind of an annoyance but much better than refilling the bag constantly and I'm uncomfortable placing lead in the bow in place of the bag.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:45 am 
Team Axis

Quick follow up question, I'm 4 hours away from my boat so I can't check but are the hose sizes in the Axis 1"?

So I would order this ball valve and attachments:

https://www.wakemakers.com/pvc-ball-valve.html

and these attachements for 1" hose and 1" thread
https://www.wakemakers.com/barbed-hose-fitting.html ?

thanks for the help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 am 
Team Axis

I purchased my setup from Home Depot... cheaper. Don't forget the Teflon tape (thread tape). Can't remember if they are 1" or 1 1/8", but you can make it work either way (heat vs. marine silicone).

I would not mess with putting a valve on your drain line... that's not your problem; you would see water coming out the through-hull fitting.

18 Monterey 278SSC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 am 
Team Axis

Thanks, forgot about the thread tape. Appreciate the advice. Guess I'm headed to Home Depot today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:35 pm 
Team Axis

Have you guys thought about running a different bag? In my A20 i run the flyhgh 1000lb triangle. Although it only holds 400 under there the fill and vent lines are on the top of the bag. The fill line port is in a area that does not push up the cushions and the vent is at the tip of the bag so it actually goes up into the hollow spot of the bow/nose area not pushing up any cushions either. My bag will drain itself back through the drain pump and out the drain through-hull but only does it when running the wedge at wakeboarding speed. When running 2500lbs ballast and no wedge it doesn't do it but the wedge seems to drag the back end down just enough for the sack to be able to drain due to the pressure in the drain line. Also just to let everyone know that has a 16 and up A20, or any year T22 and T23 wakemakers has a bag designed specifically for our boats. It is kinda pricey but was laser measured to fit exactly in our boats. You can only get around 400lbs under the bow cushions. The drain is at the bottom middle of the bag and the fill and vent ports are both at the tip of the bag so they will be up in the hollow spot of the nose. If anyone is interested in this bag here is the CAD from wakemakers.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT