It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Basic Battery Questions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:00 pm 
Team Axis

I have a T23 with sound system 3. We wakeboard or surf most of the day but stop and listen to music for an hour or so when everyone is tired.

I have a perko switch and 2 batteries.

Should I look at Dual purpose batteries instead of starter or deep cycle batteries?
should both batteries be identical?

thanks for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Basic Battery Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:41 am 
Team Axis

the original batteries are fine if your only anchoring for an hour or so, invest in an onboard charger like the prosport 20 to help maintain them when your out of the water, or if your really worried about it get some xs or optima gel batteries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:23 am 
Team Axis

I have the sme system and i just switch to one battery vs. both when I'm stopped to be safe. Never been stranded that way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:51 am 
Team Axis

Add on question...while the boat is on the switch should be on BOTH, correct? Then switch to one or two for when stopped and listening to music? What if you've sat there for awhile, should you switch back to BOTH to start the boat or switch to the other single battery for starting then switch to BOTH? Just curious if I've been doing it right or wrong before I have an issue.

Post subject: Battery Management
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:02 am 
Team Axis

Drive around on BOTH. this way the alternator keeps both topped off. Switch to one (lets call it BATT 1) for music, lights and such. Party as long as you want and if the battery goes, dead, no problem. Switch to BATT2 and fire up the engine to drive home. Switch to BOTH and you will begin charging the dead battery during the drive. All my Perko Switches have been MAKE-BEFORE-BREAK which means that they connect to the other battery before disconnecting. This prevents inductive spikes that can be harmful to electronics and alternators.

You can also use a diode isolator from an RV store to always charge both batteries even when the switch is in the single battery mode. You can also use a solenoid to connect batteries only when the engine is on and running.

But simply using the Perko switch and remembering to move from BOTH to BATT 1 at the start fo the party will save your day on the water with no hassles or complications

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 pm 
Team Axis

dustinjean wrote:
the original batteries are fine if your only anchoring for an hour or so, invest in an onboard charger like the prosport 20 to help maintain them when your out of the water, or if your really worried about it get some xs or optima gel batteries

I've thought about the on board charger but that would mean I would plug in the charger overnight while the boat sits on a lift? For some reason leaving something plugged in overnight makes me nervous but if that is what is beneficial then its something I will consider.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:47 pm 
Team Axis

JohnnyBravo wrote:
dustinjean wrote:

I've thought about the on board charger but that would mean I would plug in the charger overnight while the boat sits on a lift? For some reason leaving something plugged in overnight makes me nervous but if that is what is beneficial then its something I will consider.

Just put a timer on the outlet you plug your charger into. Most quality chargers will recharge in just an hour or two if the batteries are even moderately used. Depleted batteries will usually take 4-6 hours so it's not like you need the charger "on" overnight...just a couple hours and the good chargers have the technology to go into a maintain mode once topped off then your timer would just shutoff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:07 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks AJ, good info.

Putting in an on board battery charger appears pretty straight forward.
Is that true or am I missing something?

Any recs on battery charger to use for 2 batteries?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:20 pm 
Team Axis

JohnnyBravo wrote:
Thanks AJ, good info.

Putting in an on board battery charger appears pretty straight forward.
Is that true or am I missing something?

Any recs on battery charger to use for 2 batteries?

ProMariner Prosport 20 is the most popular charger by far and has been for years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm 
Team Axis

Where did you guys mount your onboard charger?
Near the Battery switch which I usually see located on the right wall of the stereo cubby.

thanks