It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: looking for input on a T23.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm 
Boater

I am looking to move up to a T23 from my old malibu wake setter. I want to hear the must have options and most wanted options that people wish that had added. let me hear it. I am all ears.

Post subject: Re: looking for input on a T23.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 pm 
Team Axis

etcleveland1 wrote:
I am looking to move up to a T23 from my old malibu wake setter. I want to hear the must have options and most wanted options that people wish that had added. let me hear it. I am all ears.

Honestly to me the heater, mirror (lots of people don't like but I do) and I would order without carpet and do gator step.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:42 am 
Boater

can i get the gator step thru malibu/axis? I have seen some posts on sea dec etc. which is working out the best?

Also to all what options that people ordered but on 2nd thought don't use much or at all and would not recommend ordering?

thx

Post subject: looking for input on a T23.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:04 am 
Team Axis

I've had both swiveling and fixed board racks, for me, swiveling is a must.

Stereo options. I've had both SP1 and SP3. I'd say save some $$ and build your own or just go SP1 or 2. SP3 just doesn't justify the cost.

Finally I've had both tricked out trailers and a regular trailer. Again not worth the upgrade IMO. And to top it off, the rockstar wheels are a huge PITA to clean all the crevices and corners. I will say, that the trailer steps on the rear of the trailer are a fantastic upgrade. I also really like the PTM edge mirror over the standard. Carpet is a no go for me anymore. I only put mine in when it's too hot on the floor without it (black boat). I can't spring for gator step just yet but that's what I'm going to do. Speaking of gator step, don't order the deck-trac kit, use gatorstep instead, especially if your gonna put it on the floor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 am 
Team Axis

I love the deckadence flooring it is awesome and a must IMO. Not sure where you live but I am in TX and the sun can make flooring extremely hot on bare feet. I find the decadence to be pretty good temperature wise. It feels awesome too and doesn't hold a lot of moisture like the carpeting. I have the carpet as well and I have set it out in the TX sun for an afternoon and it still didn't dry out.

The tower mirror arm and PTM edge mirror is great and includes a bottle opener which comes in very handy.

I would also make sure you get docking lights if you boat at night at all they are super bright and really handy at night. Swim lights are great as well.

I added forward set of cleats which can be handy. The normal ones are midship and stern which works 90% of the time. I find it helpful to have the forward cleats as well occasionally and at a friends house with mooring whips.

As for sound system. I had the SP3 on my A22 which I loved except for the subwoofer. With that said the tower is a little lower head clearance wise on the T23 so I have SP2 with an extra pair of icon 8's on it which is okay but I miss my Rev410's but not enough to whack my head a few times a day. If you do a lot of wakeboarding the icon8's won't cut it, for surfing you can get by with them. Now the subwoofer which is even worse with SP2 I would recommend scrapping it. I removed mine and added a Synd2 and XXX sub which is really awesome but pricey. Plan to do some sound insulation and strengthening of your dash if you go this route.

Swing in racks are great especially for storage.

Bimini with surf board storage.

I would make sure you get GPS.

You can skip the drop in cooler and pick one up on your own. There are threads in this forum discussing it. I do have the cooler and like it just overpriced from Axis.

I would also skip the factory covers. I hate mine and if I didn't have a boat house to keep most the rain off I would have replaced it by now. No matter how tight you pull the hangtight it will still pool water in rain. The cover is also horrible for trailering. People have recommended Evolution covers on this forum, I have not tried it but I will give them a shot when I do replace this cover. I did buy a swim platform cover from Evolution and it is great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:06 pm 

Things that didn't come from the factory, but we've already done or will in year 2:
- heater (but we did this aftermarket and were able to add four outlets - factory may be ~2)
- depth finder
- gator step (at least around bow and along the sides) I hear the factory deck track isn't great
- front pair of cleats - the middle pair work, but not great

Glad we have/ will have on the next boat:
- swivel board racks - a must-have
- SP2 - just fine for us, wired a switch on the dash to turn off the tower speakers (love this)
- docking/underwater lights
- gator step throughout - not sure on the differences between gator step and sea deck, but you can contact gator step for spec sheet listing prices for all of the pieces (at least for a 2015)
- ratchet-style cover - not sure what the options are, but our factory cover has two ratchets on the stern that pull it nice and tight. No problems with puddling
- bigger motor - our 350 is fine most of the time, but won't get on plane when fully weighted if there's not extra weight in the bow (60/40).
- surf pipe - never had one, but seems awesome
- more metal flake - doesn't show water spots as bad, but I guess the downside is it's difficult to blend when fixing scratches

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45 pm 

baller71ss wrote:
Things that didn't come from the factory, but we've already done or will in year 2:
- heater (but we did this aftermarket and were able to add four outlets - factory may be ~2)

How hard was it to add the aftermarket heater/which brand? We are thinking of doing that over the winter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:33 pm 
Team Axis

heater isn't too hard. Buy heatercraft. Skidim.com usually has best prices.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:31 pm 
Team Axis

Stereos on the 2017 boats are a LOT better. If you get a chance listen to some of them before you make your stereo decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:42 pm 
Team Axis

Very happy with:

Deckadence flooring
Extra steps on back of trailer and built in ratchet tie downs. If you trailer every time these are definitely essential!
Docking lights
PNP (yes, that's an option, but shouldn't be)
Wedge/Surfgate (again, options that shouldn't be)
Folding windshield mirror mount. If you have do drop your tower to put your boat away in the garage, as I do, putting the tower arm on and off every time is a hassle. The folding mount is key in this situation. If your tower stays up then personal preference works here.
Lift up bolster driver's seat. May not be as much of an issue in a T23 but I can't see over the bow of my A20 when we're surfing if I'm not sitting on the lifted bolster.

Nice but not necessary:

Heater - Mine takes a long time to warm up and only stays warm when running, at idle it cools right off
Swivel racks - I like ours but if you're trying to save some pennies this is one place you can do so.
Colors/metalflake - again nice and makes your boat look cool but can be pricey
Deck-track - if I didn't have it I would go for gator step or sea-dek since the top edges can get slippery
The cooler - you can get one much cheaper on your own. I opted to NOT get the cooler but it showed up in the boat anyway. :)
Under-water stern lights - unless you are in the boat late at night regularly these aren't necessary
Extra bow cleats - there has only been one time since I got my boat in April that I wished I'd had them

As for sound I don't know what Axis is doing for 2017 but through 2016 I would def stick with SP1 and build on your own from there. They don't enclose the subwoofer in a box, it's just mounted to a plastic panel "free-air" and it sucks. If you don't want to build it yourself you can get a stereo shop to put in as good, or better, equipment for about what you'd pay for SP2. In my case the local dealer uses the same stereo shop for all their boats. The dealer orders the boats with SP1 and then has the stereo shop build "SP2" but with an enclosed sub and a pair of Rev8's instead of the 4 Icons (I that's what SP2 has). This is all still included in the price of the boat and gets financed as if it came from the factory. This way I didn't have to come up with the extra $2K+ in stereo equipment out of pocket. Plus it sounds way better than the factory SP2.

I'm probably forgetting some other things but those are the major ones I can think of.