It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Parts for serviceable rudder box
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:42 pm 
Team Axis

So I am experiencing what others have dealt with which is the stiffening of the steering on my 2013 a22 and I'd like to get it resolved...from what I have seen folks have moved to a serviceable rudder box used on malibus...but I took this info to my dealer and they are incredibly useless...they became a Malibu dealer less than 3 months ago and their ability to work with Malibu to get answers is non existent.

Hoping someone that has done this can speak to specific part number(s) needed to get this done?

Post subject: Re: Parts for serviceable rudder box
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
Team Axis

Did you search. User name Raimie (spelling could be wrong) had this same issue on her T22. I thought she posted a pretty good write up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:10 am 
Team Axis

Saw that thread and it wasn't very detailed...just spoke about "I think a vlx"...I assume that won't get me far.

Or if anyone has a contact at Malibu or an amazing dealer?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:11 pm 

I was able to unhook mine, work the rudder out carefully by hand, clean the rudder shaft, clean the hole using a round dryer brush, reassemble with a little dawn liquid detergent and it has been good again for about a season and a half. I think it just was dirty and stored too many times with water in the sump.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:03 pm 
Team Axis

You removed the entire assembly from the boat...and yanked the rudder? I'm up to try!!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:09 pm 
Team Axis

You'll need to either jack the boat off the trailer, or take it to the ramp and back the boat off the trailer a bit. The rudder will hit the prop guard when trying to remove it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:15 am 
Team Axis

ndahlberg12 wrote:
Did you search. User name Raimie (spelling could be wrong) had this same issue on her T22. I thought she posted a pretty good write up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I put the boat in the water for the first time this year. The dealer replaced my box under warranty and used a Malibu version with the zerk fittings instead of the junk axis "Maintenance Free" box. It was AMAZING. Slow speed steering actually took a minute to get used to. It was so effortless, I kept over steering. At speed, it was wonderful. Steering was possible with my pinky finger. End of last season it was a 2-handed effort. Anyone who drove complained their shoulders were getting sore!

I cannot believe Axis used such a piece of crap on our boats. I had less than 100 hours when it failed.