It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Surf Gate Issue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:21 am 

Hey all, I'm having an issue with one of my surf gate paddles. I have a 2015 T23. The left/port side paddle is stuck out and won't retract. I've had this issue before and it was fixed by unplugging the electric connections mounted in the left/middle backside of the engine compartment where the surf gate fuse box is located. The not-ideal design lets water easily get in there and can short out connections which is what I think happened the first time. So I unplugged it/dried it out and recalibrated from the dash and it retracted and acted normal.

It will beep at me and the alarm says "Surf Gate Malfunction Retracting Left" or something along those lines. I tried all the aforementioned and nothing worked. One other thing I noticed was on the hydraulic piston itself. Right where the metal piston rod extends from the black piston body, there was a small ring piece that had been pushed off somehow. I think it might be a wiper/seal of some sort. I just slid it back on and made sure it was flush with the piston body. This ALSO happened last time I had surf gate issues. I'm sure they're all related some how but I don't know how. Any thoughts on how to get it to retract? Last time I had to put her back in storage with the paddle out and I took a crew out with it stuck out the next time hoping I would fix it, and it did retract successfully after doing the steps above. But that could have also been due to water vapor drying over a week. It was JUST in the shop so I don't want to have to take it in again. Any input is helpful.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Surf Gate Issue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:56 am 
Team Axis

Sounds like a call to the dealer or even Axis/Malibu. I wonder if anyone else has had the same issue nationwide? I haven't seen anyone on this forum mention it, but this forum is usually pretty quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 am 

Axis/Malibu have a recall on surf gate recall, I would call with your hull ID and they can tell you if yours is affected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 am 

I thought that was for 2016s though? This is a 2015. Is the recall for both?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm 
Team Axis

bottlefedsi wrote:
Axis/Malibu have a recall on surf gate recall, I would call with your hull ID and they can tell you if yours is affected.

They have a bulletin for the 2016 Axis surf gate relay module.

Recall-Chance of injury or death. Tracked by the USCG for compliance.
Bulletin- An issue has been identified. If you experience this condition here is how to fix it.
Advisory-Announcement of new feature, option, for your information. How to add this, etc.

OP,

Try switching the leads side to side. If it stays with the same actuator chances are that one is bad. If it follows the change it might be a control module.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:14 pm 

Thanks, I spoke to my dealer and he mentioned something similar. I'm just going to swing it by the dealer tomorrow afternoon and we'll take a look at it. I'll follow up with the solution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 pm 
Boater

It happened to me last summer twice. Both times, surfgate got stuck out, so reset the surfgate and recalibrated it through the dash buttons and it seemed to fix it. Never had to unplug anything. Mentioned it to my dealer last Sept. when it was in the shop, and he looked at it and tested it and said it seemed fine.. Who knows, but super annoying when on the water with a paddle stuck out.
FYI - mine is a 2014 A24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:07 pm 
Team Axis

Mine did the same thing.. recalibrate them..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:04 am 
Team Axis

Mine did the same thing. I found that small power cord going to the Surfgate module was loose. (Front port side of the motor compartment).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 am 
Team Axis

My dealer did the recall repair on mine last week. I was not having any problems with the surfgate but they made the repair anyway. I took the boat out yesterday and they went crazy right was left, left was right warning bells going off on the dash then they both came out stuck. Then it would say surfgate locked I tried all the the recalibration steps and nothing worked. The good news for me is I have a good dealer and know they will take care of it. One of there guys is making a trip to see me today to diagnose the issue.