It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: T23 ballast setup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 pm 
Team Axis

cptotr wrote:
garner wrote:
cptotr wrote:
I'm running 900's in the lockers and the 650 in the bow and my wave looks nothing like toner's wave. That thing looks amazing. Mine has a ton of push but it's a lot shorter. No way I could surf 25' and probably not even at 15' I don't usually have a big crew with me, but what else are you guys using to lengthen your surf wave? Should I add more weight in the bow? More in the walkway by the bow? Dump water out of the rear bags? Adding more weight to the bow would make me a little nervous, but I'd try it if that's what it takes.

Bow weight or a bag in the walkway floor leading up to the box is needed for more length.

What size do you guys recommend? Another 650 on top of the seats or something smaller in the bow with another in the walkway? Which bag fits well into that walkway leading to the bow. My boat is in the slip and won't be able to get to it until next week or I'd just measure it myself. Thanks

I don't have a wave like Toner's either and am working hard to get one that nice.

I just purchased a brand new 650 to put on top of the cushions which have a 650 pnp below (fills way short of 650). I did run a rectangular 750 Sumo sac right in front of the wind dam (removed wind dam) on the seats crosswise. It worked to lengthen the wave out quite well. I've also used that same bag in the walkway between the passenger storage and helm. It's a bit wide to completely fill. A slightly narrower bag would be perfect there.

As for the extra 750 in bow weight, no issues with taking on water or being close to the water line in the front with all the weight in the back.

I plan on the following for my first test now that I have this new triangle bag: All PNP full and hard tanks full. 650 triangle on top of bow cushions, 750 in walkway as far forward as I can get it and of course wedge down.

Would love to borrow a 400 or 750 to throw on the surf side. It's mainly my wife, kids and I. Friends are too busy for free boating and fun. (Idiots...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:29 pm 

That's perfect. I cannot wait to hear back once you try it. About to make an order for more ballasts and am very anxious to hear your results on that setup. Sounds like if that's not good it certainly isn't from lack of weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:34 pm 
Team Axis

cptotr wrote:
That's perfect. I cannot wait to hear back once you try it. About to make an order for more ballasts and am very anxious to hear your results on that setup. Sounds like if that's not good it certainly isn't from lack of weight.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Toner's setup was a bow bag on top and a ton of people in the boat with a slight surf side list by people. He also has 1100's in rear. So he has 400 extra pounds back there over me. Weather forecast sucks here, so likely won't be till Monday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:16 am 
Team Axis

Has anyone seen or tried the new custom rear bags for the T23 from WakeMakers? Or those bags for any model at that? They are 825lbs each for the T23 and according to WM they were made from custom scans of the rear compartments from the factory and are specifically designed to weight the rear just enough to lower Surfgate in the water to the optimum level. They said more weight would lower surfgate too much to be as effective.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know some guys say they are running 1100s but do you really think you're getting 1100lbs in there, because I know just from measuring the compartments they aren't long enough for an 1100 bag to fully fill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:22 pm 
Team Axis

I have not tried them. I just picked up a pair of like new Fly High 1100's off of craigslist. (They were a steal. He still has a 1000lbs triangle and another 1100 if anyone is interested I'll share the info. They are a few hours from me, but I go there fairly often for work. Would be several weeks before my next trip.)

I'm hopeful that my additional 650 bag on the bow seats and the 750 in the walkway will lower the front when underway further than its been before and help bring the top of the surf gate to the surface of the water. I have noticed that the surfgate is about 3 inches under water with my current setup. If it doesn't work, I'm using one of my current 900's on the surf side to slightly list the boat over and that should bring the gate up and out of the water to clean it up if needed. Weather is looking optimistic for this weekend finally up here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:03 am 

I just wanted to chime in for those that are trying to get your wave like mine. I'm running 150 lbs of lead in the nose cone of my boat AND a 1000 lb Fly High (#W706) triangle bag on top of my seat in those photos. That's in addition to full plug and play with 1100's in the rear lockers. If you are running 1100's in the rears and full the boat should sit fairly even when surfing and you shouldn't take any water over the bow. Those photos are of an extremely heavy boat. Also, you need to make sure you are weighted correctly from front to back so that the surfgates aren't submerged. If you are too heavy in the rear and the gates are too far underwater, you will not have good results. 1100's in the rear are no better than 900's if you don't offset the weight with something in the front.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:53 am 
Team Axis

Here is one from this past weekend.
2016 T23 350 motor with 0J 945
1100's Rear full
Bow sac full under seats
400 in front walkway
Hard tanks full
No wedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:06 pm 
Team Axis

tonerboner wrote:
I just wanted to chime in for those that are trying to get your wave like mine. I'm running 150 lbs of lead in the nose cone of my boat AND a 1000 lb Fly High (#W706) triangle bag on top of my seat in those photos. That's in addition to full plug and play with 1100's in the rear lockers. If you are running 1100's in the rears and full the boat should sit fairly even when surfing and you shouldn't take any water over the bow. Those photos are of an extremely heavy boat. Also, you need to make sure you are weighted correctly from front to back so that the surfgates aren't submerged. If you are too heavy in the rear and the gates are too far underwater, you will not have good results. 1100's in the rear are no better than 900's if you don't offset the weight with something in the front.

Welcome back Toner! Thank you for chiming in. I know I need some serious bow weight to counter the rear weight and to get the gate out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:09 pm 
Boater

tonerboner wrote:

are you talking about not having the surfgate submerged while you are just floating on the water? or at surf speed? if that makes sense?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm 
Team Axis

kellerman wrote:
tonerboner wrote:

are you talking about not having the surfgate submerged while you are just floating on the water? or at surf speed? if that makes sense?

Surf speed. My wave gets washed out right now because the top of the gate is below the water line.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next