It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winterizing Your Axis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:45 am 
Team Axis

Why do you need to drain the boat then fill it with antifreeze? I plan on running my fakelake until the boat gets to operating temp and the thermostat opens. Then switching to the 5 gallons of antifreeze and calling it done. If you pull all the plugs, then hook up the antifreeze without warming the boat up then the antifreeze doesn't get everywhere it needs to go right?

Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:02 am 
Team Axis

VAstyle wrote:
Why do you need to drain the boat then fill it with antifreeze? I plan on running my fakelake until the boat gets to operating temp and the thermostat opens. Then switching to the 5 gallons of antifreeze and calling it done. If you pull all the plugs, then hook up the antifreeze without warming the boat up then the antifreeze doesn't get everywhere it needs to go right?

Am I missing something?

You pull the plugs to drain the water then you put them back in. Once the water is drained, then run straight antifreeze in it. You might also want to idle the engine longer that 5 minutes. I would suggest 10 minutes just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 pm 
Team Axis

VAstyle wrote:

Am I missing something?

You can POTENTIALLY end up with a weak dilution of antifreeze in some of the hard to reach corners of the water passages in the block if you do it this way.

If you drain it of water then fill it, you remove the possibility of a diluted antifreeze mixture.

It'll probably be fine either way, but that's the reason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm 
Team Axis

I posted a question about the Perko Flush valve for winterizing my Axis A24 on the DIY page and no one replied. It appears to be very simple install and easy way to add antifreeze after the boat warms up on a garden hose.

Anyone have experience with the Perko Flush Valve and what are your thoughts?

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/u ... roduct/62/

Jim

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:39 pm 
Team Axis

JimFuller wrote:
I posted a question about the Perko Flush valve for winterizing my Axis A24 on the DIY page and no one replied. It appears to be very simple install and easy way to add antifreeze after the boat warms up on a garden hose.

Anyone have experience with the Perko Flush Valve and what are your thoughts?

http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/u ... roduct/62/

Jim

I don't see the difference between this method and the fake lake way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 pm 
Team Axis

My plunger on the fake a lake does not fit snug against the bottom of the boat. I have to duct tape around it to make a tighter seal. I thought this valve would make it easier to connect by placing a Y connector on a hose to the Perko valve and a container of antifreeze. Then switch from water to antifreeze after the boat heats up.

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 pm 
Team Axis

JimFuller wrote:
My plunger on the fake a lake does not fit snug against the bottom of the boat. I have to duct tape around it to make a tighter seal. I thought this valve would make it easier to connect by placing a Y connector on a hose to the Perko valve and a container of antifreeze. Then switch from water to antifreeze after the boat heats up.

Yea my point was the process is basically the same so if the fake lake works the perko valve should do the same thing in theory.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:02 pm 
Team Axis

I'd still drain everything, better to not have anything in there than a weak dilution and it still not offer good enough freeze protection

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:12 pm 
Team Axis

I removed a perko valve from a boat for a guy last year. He had left it in the water over the weekend and the perko valve came apart. He found the boat before it sank and brought it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:56 am 

This is going to be my first attempt at winterizing my 2011 A20 myself. i am going to go through the block plug, trans plug removal etc. process to get all of the water out, but I would like to put all the plugs back in and fill with antifreeze just to be safe and to prevent any corrosion. My question is, after I drain everything, do I then hook up the fake a lake and suck the anti freeze in that way, or pour it in another way. My fake a lake says that you need a minimum of 40 psi of water pressure, so how would that work coming from a bucket of antifreeze? Am i missing something? Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next