It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: a20 vs x2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:38 pm 

Anyone have any experience comparing the a20 with a x2 from a core wake boat perspective? Wake, performance, room etc.

I know a bit apples to oranges from a pricepoint but bling aside comparing core stuff.

I've been in the market for an a20 but stumbled on a very low hour mint x2 that makes price a mute point .. actually cheaper than the a20. So now the situation has become murky.

One thing for sure the bow in the axis has a bit more room length wise. Not sure about main cabin.

Open to all thoughts comments experiences

Post subject: Re: a20 vs x2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Team Axis

I dont like the X2 wake at all. This is because you have to put so much weight in the boat to even compare to the axis. I feel you have to put 3K of weight in the boat to compare to the axis 900lb stock weight. Mastercrafts interior will always be the hottest out. I initially went to buy a X2. Me being 25 years old they never called me back and little did they know I was able to get a loan. I stumbled on the A22 and they never had to call me. I called them everyday until the deal was ready. Needless to say I would take a Axis over all the boats on the market. If the X2 was id say 5K plus cheaper I would put some thought into it. For 3K more and own a Axis... I would by the axis any day

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:25 pm 

exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. In this case the x2 (used although barely) is significantly cheaper than the axis (new) option but I was dead set on ordering up the a20 or a22.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 am 
Team Axis

The x2 i spent time on was an 08, and i have yet to drive th3 a20 or ride behind it, all my axis experience is behind a22s, but im told the wakes are about the same.

X2- it needs a lot of weight and the wake always seemed really wide, washing out easily no matter how we moved the weight around. We used it for a contest a few years back but since the wake was so terrible, we dropped in a vlx to use. The x2 was just used as a pick up boat. im sure some guys have figured how to weight it to get a good clean wake, but no pros or semi pros are riding this boat that ive seen. Also, never seen one in rider videos or pictures, and to me that says it all. Surf wave is another issue. I dont surf but have read a few discussions about difficulties in the wave.

Storage was pretty big in the x2, the bow is smaller in the x2, not sure about the cabin space. Interior materials in the x2 are a lot nicer. The x2 handles like a monster truck. It does not turn so well and when weighted, it rolls on tight turns.

The good thing about the a20 new, even tho its more, u have a brand new boat with brand new warranty. Good luck and post pictures either way you go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:09 pm 

Johnnydefacto wrote:
Storage was pretty big in the x2, the bow is smaller in the x2, not sure about the cabin space. Interior materials in the x2 are a lot nicer. The x2 handles like a monster truck. It does not turn so well and when weighted, it rolls on tight turns.

Yikes... monster truck! That doesn't agree with what the reviews typically say.. usually it's referred to as "nimble".. that said the reviews could be biased. Hate to end up with a monster truck of a boat.

Based on your experience it sounds not good at all with exception to a better interior.

What if I asked the question a different way... How would the 2 compare from the family boat multisport aspect?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 pm 

What I'm looking at is a 2008 x2 with approx 100 well kept hours. Always garaged in mint cond. Looks like it just came from the showroom Well optioned out. For right at $40k local to me so the transaction would be easy.

I can't get into any axis new or used for that in any location and if so not nearly as well equipped or optioned etc.. So the dilemma becomes is the axis providing that much better of an overall package to justify the additional cost? I'm a big fan of what the brand stands for and it's right pricepoint when comparing against the competition new boat to new boat. Was ready to order it up come boat show season. Now this has fallen into my lap and it's really hard to ignore. I'm not going to kid myself, I want to advance my riding but I'm not a pro and in reality have a family and want to enjoy a better ride than the typical I/O's and old style inboard ski boats I've been riding behind. I'd probably be tickled with any newer Vdrive with some ballast.

Also ride in chopped up rough water is a concern. The lakes I ride can get churned up good on the weekends.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 am 
Team Axis

Monster truck is unfair, ive never driven one so i dont know. But for a 20 foot boat it was dissapointing. I just rode with ed (elc) this week and he dpulled me behind my a22 heavily loaded. We ride in a tight area so boat handling is a big issue for me, thats a big reason i went for axis/malibu. Ed told me how he has driven an x2 at our riding spot and talked about how it was difficult and scetchy turning that thing. I dont know what year or motor or weight config though. I think its the newer x2, not the old xstar. I am sure he will chime in to help you.

I recently had mastercraft "high ups" on my boat. They were testing and driving all new boats for handling characteristics and performance. They are trying to improve in this category because they are notorious for heir handling defeciencies. It was interesting.

As for family boat, wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, tubing and just hanging out i assume? Both will fit the bill, mastercraft wins on materials and quality and bling, axis wins on wake, wave and performance. Looks are subjective. New axis wins on warranty, x2 on price, and rough water ride i do not know. Id bet the a20 handles better because that is one of the tests the MC guys did with the boats, driving double ups and recording the data to their laptop.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:31 pm 
Team Axis

I wakeboarded last year primarily on an 2008 X2 and I purchased an A22 this year. Here is my experience:

We ran `2300 lbs in the X2. The wake was actually shaped very similar to the A22 without the wedge, just smaller. We ran a slightly shorter rope because it was a bit wider. It is a fun wake and if you want to see somebody throwing down on it, watch Harley's new video from China. I think both runs were on an X2.

With full PnP plus the wedge, the Axis wake is ALOT bigger! However, it maintains that rampy shape that you will find with both boats. If that wake is too large, lift the wedge and drain half the ballast and you will have the X2 wake. It leaves room for advancement though, whereas the X2 wake will top out before the Axis. I usually run full PnP with no wedge. I currently do not need any more wake than that, but when I am ready, it is there!

The only advantage I saw to the X2 interior is that the vinyl is a little softer. Will it last longer? probably. Is it really more comfortable? nahh not really. The X2 I rode was before all the fancy touch screen BS so from the driver's perspective, it had no real advantage.

As for handling, we rode a course that did have very tight corners at the end. It was a little scarier in the X2 than it would have been in the Axis, but it still made the corners just fine. That shouldnt be something that steers you away from the X2.

Keep in mind though that the X2 I rode was in salt water. I do not know how much of a difference that actually makes on the wake, but I know it is more dense. You will be perfectly happy with either boat because both will put you on the water where you need to be!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm 
Team Axis

The x2 that I drive is an 05, so the older version. I have never driven a newer X2. The ride spot is very tight and down right scary to turn the X2 when weighted. Johns boat is heavily weighted and drives like direct drive.

I am far from a pro but one of the biggest advantages of the Axis is the scalability of the wake. We have on a given day riding behind my boat; a 3 year old, my wife skating (with a clean wake at 17mph), myself (clean wake around 21-22 mph with a little over stock+wedge) and advanced riders (8+ inverts, multiples spins, etc.) We can easily set the boat up for each rider without messing around too much with the weight. This is a huge advantage Axis has over a lot of other wake boats.

Just to mirror gibsters experience... I have had nothing but positive customer service from Axis.