It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Window/Door Latch Replacement??
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 am 
Boater

Does anyone know if they make something better then the plastic latches that AXIS puts on the walk through window? Something that screws right into the existing location? My latches constantly come loose and I have to tighten then all the time.

Post subject: Re: Window/Door Latch Replacement??
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:51 am 
Team Axis

I can't wait till a boat company ditches the turn latches, they are terrible. What needs to be there is a 'button release" type spring latch, and only one of them.

I found this little magnetic one, looks like it would work well. its expensive though, $24 for the keyless one.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/GA ... Pull+Model

If you find a simpler one, with a finger-slide/button release let me know. I will be replacing mine this winter. Also, if the holes do not match up, its okay, there is a 1/2" or so of space between the edge of the frame and where the glass starts, so you can drill your own holes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:55 pm 
Boater

Thanks for posting that Johnny. I ve been skimming the internet and if I find something and it works I will definitely post it up. Those plastic latches blow big time!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 pm 
Team Axis

I remember talking to a few dealers at the L.A. boat show in 2007 about why their $80k boats do not have a better latching system... never got an answer. I think its those little things that make a big difference, and I hate that i have to tighten the screw on those things periodically (so far I haven't on this boat because I always turn the latch clockwise so I do not loosen the screw).

Spending a lot of time on internet, off work waiting for little girl to be born. I am searching for a latch with a spring loaded beveled throw (like in a lot of glove boxes) or baby/dog gates. cant find one that will work with the window yet. the more I search, the more I am liking the magna latch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:45 pm 
Team Axis

Tilt latches !!! Thats the style I am looking for. Havent found one that will work yet but I found this and it looks like its a cheap option.

http://www.tkgcomponents.com/productswindowdoor.htm

6th down, #0025, the black sweep lock. would look good too, just wont auto lock when the window closes, so its no good for what I want.