It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trying to choose between A20 and A22-Need help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:21 am 

Guys,

The wife and I are looking to order our first boat early next year, and I have narrowed it down to the A20 and A22. I do have a couple of questions though.

For the most part, I will be the only person wakeboarding hard on it. The wife rides but is just learning and we will of course be bringing out tons of friends who have not ridden before. We are wanting a dependable boat that can throw a good wake when weighted yet is not too bad on gas. I have ridden behind pretty much every wake and my favorites (even though they are crazy different) are the Super Airs and VLX. Is the wake similar to the VLX?

The questions we have are:
1-How is the gas consumption different between the two boats? Are we talking about a difference of $20/day or $50/day?
2-Will the difference in boat length be much of a problem if we are taking out 8 people a day at the max?
3-What would you guys recommend.

I know people say that you will never have a boat over 10 years, but we are thinking if we get the exact one we want first, we will hopefully be able to keep it for a long time. I am hoping to get the boat I want and maybe when we have kids and they get older, we can look into something for them at that time. Thanks for your responses.

Post subject: Re: Trying to choose between A20 and A22-Need help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm 
Team Axis

this is my personal opinion and others im sure have different than mine. But i would go with the A22.

1..15 or more people can easily fit in the boat. you say 8. but with the A22 you have more room for everyone so you are not feeling all close together.
Also you have more storage for everyone's gear plus your own.
2..Gas assumption i would think would be near the same, if not alittle better on the A20 but not by much. i have used a half tank of gas which is 24 gallons in a matter of 10hrs estimate. which isnt to bad on my A22. then again, im not always going hard either. we take breaks etc and swim, play cards, etc..as well.
3..im keeping mine as long as i can as well. and difference in a few thousand dollars is way worth the A22 in my opinion.

but the main reason i chose the A22, is the storage..amount of people and thats what sold me between the two. cause i was looking at friends of ours on the boat, plus when my kids get older you know there friends and family will want to go. so the room is nice to have.

As far as the wake...its very good and competive to just about any other boat. Axis was built strictly for wakeboarding, even though you can still kneeboard/ski and pull tubes.

you get 900lbs internal and as much as 3k plus of extra ballast. Ive heard and dont quote me, but the A20 hull is built similiar to the VTX hull and the A22 is similiar to the 23 footer malibu hull.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm 

Dustin,

I appreciate the response. This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear. Going to the dealership this weekend to try and get a feel of the differences between the boats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:36 pm 
Team Axis

A22 very similar to the VLX (06+ years). that is the main reason we bought ours. My 2 favorite wakes of all time are the VLX and Xstar. I spent some time behind a buddies 06 vlx, 3500lbs or more and no wedge. Loved it.

When Axis came out and after talking with matt and adam about the hull and how close it is to the v25 (malibu vlx) hull, I was sold before even seeing or driving one. Then my wife and I drove it and it handled incredibly, just like the vlx. we were sold.

IF you like the VLX wake, then you will like either the A22 or A20.

1. dont pay much attention to gas, and have no time on an A20. We ride with 3 or 4 riders, 4000 lbs, no wedge, core prop on a 335 motor. We take 2 sets each and I burn approx 15 gallons. I can do this almost 4 days without running out of fuel if I wanted, but I always run with the fuel tank full = more weight :)
2. I do think 2 feet will be HUGE with up to 8 people. With 5 adults and 2 two-year olds, the A22 starts getting tight, especially with people moving around, getting drinks, changing riders, ropes, boards... I do not know where the extra 2 feet come from, I assume in the cabin area as the bow looks the same.
3. My opinion. Price out the A20 loaded exactly how you want it, then order the A22, stripping it down to the same price as the A20. Then add all the extras yourself during the next few winters. I think if you get the A20, you will miss the extra 2 feet and may regret it. If you get the A22 you will miss the heater, or shower, or LED's... but you can add these later, for cheaper. And since you said you plan on keeping it for the long haul, adding options yourself later will force you to become an expert on your boat which will help you for years to come :)

either way, you will love the boat. Have fun with the new boat buying experience, we did!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 pm 
Team Axis

I agree. The 20 will get tight with gear and such. Go for the a22 that you can afford and add options later if you need to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:12 am 
Team Axis

I did exactly the same thing as far as ordering the boat I wanted for the long haul. I started looking at a number of used boats and just decided to bite the bullet and order the one I wanted and not settle. I promise you that if you order the A22 you will be more than satisfied.

Have fun!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:07 am 
Team Axis

I have spent a little time in an A20 with 6 other people and it felt just a little crowded, I feel that that boat is more a 3-5 person boat who just want to go out for a casual ride and not be out too long, if you want to be out for the long haul all day like I usually do get the 22 and you will be comfortable all day long, just like the old saying about race car engines- there is no replacement for displacement..... The A22 is perfect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:58 am 
Axis Owner

matty_gs,
We have the A20 and love it, but we live on the lake so we don't require the storage or do we worry anout all the extra riders. I went with the A20 for gas, cost and better fit without extending our dock. I agree with the others if you are going to spend all day in the boat you want to be confortable.