It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Surf Help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:34 pm 

Summer is coming, so I’m starting to think about the lake, which leads me to some questions about surfing. Last year I picked up a new A22 and a phase five razz (skim style board I think). I surfed a bunch of times and had a total blast, but I felt like I was always too close to the boat and I’d like to get further back (I could get a little back but if I went too far I would lose the wave). Also, a lot of my friends could ride for a few seconds and then they would lose the wave. I’m about 210 lbs and goofy. Here’s my setup:
- goofy hard tank full (200 lbs)
- goofy PnP (750 lbs)
- middle hard tank (500 lbs)
- arrow pnp front bag (850 lbs)
- 10.5 MPH (non GPS calibrated)
- wedge down
- 2-4 people in the boat (on surf side and/or bow)

So to be able to get further behind the boat and to make it easier for noobies, what does everyone recommend?
- buy a big surf style board? Recommendations?
- more weight in surf side?
- more weight in the bow?
- learn better technique?

I would love to try out a bunch of demo boards to see firsthand, but not a lot of wakesurfing around here so that’s not possible. A new board would have to be ordered sight unseen. Also, what does a “fast board” mean? It accelerates past when you lean forward?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Post subject: Re: Surf Help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm 
Team Axis

I surf goofy as well. I set up 1100 rear, rear hard tank, center full, bow full, 750 sac on seat behind driver, extra 400 sack in bow on surf side. A fast board has down the line speed, meaning that very little front foot weight needed to accelerate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I would start by trying to get some more weight in the nose. Are you sitting pretty high in the front? More weight in the nose will normally give you a longer surfable wake. On my old MXZ we would throw an additional sac in the bow also like AJ suggests and have it leaning to the surf side. I would say we would fill it about 400lbs full also.

I would go with the extra weight since you can do that without spending anything. Load up the boat and put 3 people in the nose once the boat starts going. See how that increases your 'sweet spot' and gives you more room to surf around behind the boat and not all up behind the platform.

Whenever I am told on the phone that my sweet spot is right behind the platform I recommend dropping the nose of the boat to start.

For boards do look for a surf style board. you might find that you like that type of surfing better than a skim style. A single fin skim really does not give me enough bite in the rear to get on it when I want to pump toward the boat. I like a surf style board that has 2 side fins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 am 

Wow AJ that looks like a lot of weight, I think my wife would be scared to drive the boat, as I'm assuming that there must be a major list to one side. Do you also use the wedge?

Anyone have any recommendations for a surf style board for a 210 pounder for about $500? I have heard a lot of comments of staying away from the wakeboard company's.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 am 
Team Axis

Lakewake... my wife was terrified at first as well. Main thing is to practice with her and make certain you wait for the first two rollers to go by before turning. After about 30-45 minutes, she was used to the sluggishness and pull... no worries. Do not go directly into rollers with all that weight up front, or you'll be extra wet.

We ride wedge on std and no wedge on goofy due to prop rotation. same set up as AJ and Admin. 10.8 std/11.0 goofy.

18 Monterey 278SSC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:08 pm 
Team Axis

Longest cleanest wave we have ever had was from all bags and tanks full with a homemade poorgate clamped onto the surf deck.

Play with your speed and lift the wedge with your setup the way it is. You can also try to run with the centre tank 3/4 full.

I hope you try the poorgate though... It changes everything!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:27 am 
Team Axis

I agree with kohlieo. Let me know if you'd like a poor gate built. It does change the wave incredibly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:58 am 
Team Axis

1joeyh wrote:
I agree with kohlieo. Let me know if you'd like a poor gate built. It does change the wave incredibly.

Pm me your price. I might have a friend or two interested in one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:31 pm 
Team Axis

Pm me price also Joey. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 pm 

Do you have any pictures of the poor gate? is it made for the 2013 platforms? do i have to drill into my platform? how much?