It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rudder heads up
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm 
Team Axis

2011 A22.

One year ago I dropped in to Lake Havasu and noticed the steering was stiff... after exercising the steering side to side it loosened up and felt normal. I thought the extreme heat may have cooked the grease in the rudder shaft or something. Boat was on the water for 4 days with no issue.

It happened a few more times the rest of the year at my home lake, but as soon as it was wet for a few minutes, it got better. Well this year it was happening more frequently, I thought the cable was going out on me as i was getting some water in my bilge due to a prop shaft packing leak. I fixed the leak and got a new cable from my dealer. I disconnected the old cable and tested it by grabbing the cable, it moved freely. So i grabbed the rudder from inside and it would not move. From outside the boat it would not move either. locked up. I couldn't even pound the rudder out of the rudder box/mount with a brass hammer. I took the whole assembly out, took it to my dealer. It is a "non-servicable" rudder, no zerk fittings, no grease, just a porous lower seal that apparently lets in water to lube the steel shaft against the brass housing, and a top seal that prevents water from coming up the shaft into the boat.

I was given a used housing with 2 zerk fittings and my rudder, went home and installed it (had to jack boat up 2 inches off the trailer to get rudder back in) and now my steering is buttery smooth. Smoother than it has ever been. And now i can service it. So stoked. My dealer rocks.

So check your rudder housing, you should have 1 or 2 zerk fittings somewhere on the vertical brass housing. If you do not, then you most likely have the same rudder housing and the only way I know of to "service" it is to remove the control arm completely off the rudder shaft, make sure rudder doesn't drop out and get damaged by trailer, slide rudder down til it rests on the trailer prop guard, grease the shaft really well and then put it back together. Not sure if this is correct, but it is what I would do if I would have known a year ago what I know now.

Post subject: Re: Rudder heads up
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am 

2011 A22 - similar issue

My steering was becoming too stiff also. Got to be too much of an issue so after reading your post I took my boat to the dealer. We unhooked the rudder and steering cables were fine (steering was free and easy but the rudder would hardly budge). Probably going to replace my rudder.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 am 
Team Axis

hope it is under warranty. Otherwise, just find a used malibu rudder box -reciever. Your rudder is fine. I have one off a vlx that looks to be atleast 6 years old. works great. my steering feels better than new.

good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:57 pm 

Parts will be under warranty but not labor. (into my 2nd year).

I guess the dealer will get a new rudder box receiver?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm 
Team Axis

I hope so. If I were you I would push for a "serviceable" receiver. Even if you give them your new one from factory and trade it for a used one that has zerks, it is a better way to go. Make sure the dealer hands you the rudder and box completely assembled and turning freely before you take it home. My dealer and I worked on mine for an hour in the shop, trying a few different boxes to get one to fit correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 am 

Got the new rudder installed. Steering is awesome now! It is still not serviceable (the dealer simply replaced the whole assembly). But, I am very happy with the results :D .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:12 am 
Team Axis

Good to know. So warranty will replace the part just not install it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Team Axis

csf wrote:
Got the new rudder installed. Steering is awesome now! It is still not serviceable (the dealer simply replaced the whole assembly). But, I am very happy with the results :D .

Glad to hear that, feels like a new boat again doesn't it?

Hopefully yours will provide years of trouble free use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 am 

It does feel like new again (maybe even a little better!)

The 2nd year of Warranty will cover the parts only...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:51 am 
Team Axis

Thanks for the info guys. Picking up my new Axis Saturday, will keep an eye on this. Is there any maintenance you would recommend to the stock rudder box to avoid this?