It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rear plug and play ballast
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:04 am 

Hello, I bought my boat with all plug and play ballasts installed. When draining, from my understanding, the rear bags drain into the hard tanks then get drained that way. My issue is that the bags don’t like to drain very easily into the tank to drain. Is this just a normal part of how the system works or am I having an issue somewhere? Maybe drain hose is to long or something else? Maybe I am just expecting to much, any advice from more experienced people would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Rear plug and play ballast
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:17 pm 
Team Axis

Nightlong515 wrote:
Hello, I bought my boat with all plug and play ballasts installed. When draining, from my understanding, the rear bags drain into the hard tanks then get drained that way. My issue is that the bags don’t like to drain very easily into the tank to drain. Is this just a normal part of how the system works or am I having an issue somewhere? Maybe drain hose is to long or something else? Maybe I am just expecting to much, any advice from more experienced people would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What year is your boat and model?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:21 pm 

Sorry. I have a 2012 A20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm 
Team Axis

Nightlong515 wrote:
Sorry. I have a 2012 A20

Is there a drain line at the front and back of bag connected to the tank for filling and draining bag? And is it 3/4" line or 1" line?

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

Last edited by steveA20 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:09 pm 

There are 2 3/4” lines on the bag. One on top. Then one on the front bottom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:23 pm 
Team Axis

Nightlong515 wrote:
There are 2 3/4” lines on the bag. One on top. Then one on the front bottom

What you are experiencing is probably why Axis changed drain/fill line size from 3/4" to 1" and added a 2nd line. The 3/4" line off the top of the bag is most likely the overflow/vent line. The 3/4" line attached to the bottom is your fill/drain line to the tank. On my 16 A20 and 18 T22 the 550lb plug and play bags filled and drained pretty quick. I think in 2013 Axis started calling it HiFlo plug and play because of the bigger lines and adding the 2nd one to the tank, 1 at each end of bag/tank. When you say front of bag do you mean facing bow? If it is, that's another problem because when your bag is draining and your cruising back in the water in the bag is going to flow towards the rear of boat and no longer drain into the tank.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:46 pm 

That makes sense thanks for the response. And yes front being towards the bow. The bag doesn’t have another drain in the back. Which seemed strange to me when I was looking at it. Sounds like I could try and put a bigger line in but it might just be what I have. And let it drain as it wants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:27 pm 
Team Axis

Nightlong515 wrote:
That makes sense thanks for the response. And yes front being towards the bow. The bag doesn’t have another drain in the back. Which seemed strange to me when I was looking at it. Sounds like I could try and put a bigger line in but it might just be what I have. And let it drain as it wants

Does the back of the bag have a plug where you can thread in another quick connect male fitting? It wouldn't be hard to tap the back of the hard tank and thread in another fitting like the one at the front of the tank. Then you could add another line to the back of the bag and have double drain/fill lines.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm 

I don’t remember the bag having another fitting. But I will have to check and see if I can add another line. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 am 
Team Axis

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00A8OVDJ0?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win70-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp&fbclid=IwAR2nV9eakmpnl4IBxy-ey4U5Xl_N7yqrzlrcZ_WulqPKET01Jy3XYUH6A-g

I've got a 2012 A20 with 750s in the rear above the hard tanks. My bags, and yours I assume, have 2 top fittings and one bottom. I've solved the issues with the interval style draining. My rear system works like this. I fill from the top. That is, the fill pump attaches to the top of the bag. The bag is then connected at the back of the bag to the tank via the drain pump (linked above, explained below). The front tank fittings are tied together for the tank vent and I have attached the second top bag attachment via a wye to the tank vent line. So both the tank and the bag are vented - no need to burp.
The key is to replace the drain pump, attached to the rear of the tank, with a dual inlet tank body. The outlet on the pump obviously goes to the side of the boat for discharge. The bottom of the pump is screwed onto the tank like the pump being replaced and the drain of the bag is connected via tubing to the drain pump.
This way the drain pump, when turned on, drains both the bag and the tank. No more need to drain the bag into the tank prior to discharge.

An added bonus is that now everything drains best when you are a little bow up. The front pnp bag is already like this, but before the rear bags drained in the front. Now, with the rear bags draining toward the rear everything drains best bow up.