It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Looking at a 09 Axis A22
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 pm 

Hey all,
I am looking at getting a used 09 Axis A22 and just have a few questions.

Do the 09's have the issue with the Tach? Do they need to be replaced like the 2010's?

What add-ons would you recommend?
I would like to upgrade the drivers seat to have the flip up bolster? any idea of how much this is?
Going to get the tower mount mirror.
Gonna wait and see about the added Plug n play?

Any other things that I should know about the '09 A22's?

Thanks
hope to be soon new owner of a Axis boat

Post subject: Re: Looking at a 09 Axis A22
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:39 pm 
Team Axis

Not sure about the tach but if you are buying it from a dealer they should swap it out for you. I didn't have any issues with my tach and my boat is a 2010.

I like my seats that flip up in the bow and next to the driver... I think axis calls them chillax seats. If the boat has that option, thats a plus. Standard board racks work fine the swivel ones are nice to have. I prefer the shape of the wake with the wedge, plug and play is a must. I would not bother with a bolster seat, there is really no need for one. I would get a swivel driver seat over the bolster. Dual batteries is a must- I had them install the switch and then added a second battery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 pm 
Team Axis

I am assuming you are buying it used from the dealer, or are the add-ons you are thinking of doing on your own?

If you are able to add things on from dealer/seller then I agree with ed,

yes chillax seats, yes plug n play is a must, yes wedge, yes swivel driver seat, yes on the tower mounted mirror/beer opener.

No flip up bolster. I am 5'7" and I do not need it, the bow is low and I have no problem seeing over it when getting on plane.
No swivel racks, standard are fine and saves you $500. I ordered with standard racks and have been searching for nice swivel racks, finding them everywhere for 1/3 the cost of the axis swivels. Also, the plug n play can be made by buying the parts from www.wakemakers.com for less than the "plug n play" option from the factory BUT, you will have to figure out every part you need and install it yourself. I think that option is only $250-300 or around there.

anyhow, good luck and let us know how it goes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 pm 
Axis Owner

If you want to add the flip up bolster I think it cost around $150 plus labor unless you do it yourself. The plug and play installed from the dealer was about $500 but like was said before you can buy the parts and plumb it yourself.
The dealers have a video from axis on how to install the plug n play if you know your local dealer they might let you watch it and make it easier on you. I've got the tower mirror bracket/bottle opener and it is nice. The only draw back to the tower mirror is I had to remove it to get my axis in the garage with the tower collapsed. Good luck with your purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am 

Hi Thanks for the reply's.

I am actually buying it from a private seller and having the local dealer give it a blessing before I buy it.

The items were ones that I was thinking on adding after I got it. It does already have the Chillax Seats, the wedge, the standard board racks, and dual battery switch. Good to know about the bolster seat, although I may just get that since the lady friend may be driving a bit. The tower mirror I will be getting for sure. It also sounds like I need to get the extra ballast as well.

Oh yeah, does any body know the brand of wheels that comes with the Vandal, I really like the looks of the tricked out trailer pkg. Are they 18's?

Stay tuned for pics...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 am 
Team Axis

I had a bolster seat in my old vdrive and was set on needing one on the Axis. I would try driving it for a couple days with out it and go from there. I think you might be surprised.

BTW- if there is a west marine close to your house they were getting rid of skylon swivel racks for $75 each about a week ago.

I had the same question regarding wheels - here is what jerry from boat mate told me:
"Adding aftermarket wheels/tires is trickier than most people think. There are endless wheel/tire size combinations that will work for you. Your trailer is equipped with 9” wide fenders, so I would stick with a combo’ that is 8” wide or less. A few things that you need to keep in mind when making your choice is that your max. legal width is 102” and the more offset that you add to the wheel, the more strain it will put on your bearings and spindles. Most of our trailers with 18” wheels have a special width axle to accommodate those and eliminate extreme offsets. The pilot bore of the wheels must also be at least 2.75”. You need to stay with close to the same O.D. tire, but you have some room to fudge on the width. Be cautious about running passenger car and truck wheels and tires……some do not have sufficient capacity for your trailer. You also need to de-rate the capacity of a passenger vehicle tire by at least 10% for trailer use"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 pm 

hmmmm ok, good to know. That may have to wait a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 pm 
Team Axis

kdub, I would do what ed says about the seat. spend some time on it as is, and let the ladie(s) drive it a few times too. I am short and my wife is too, she is about 5'4" and said she has no need for the bolster. In my buddies 07 vlx, she sat a lot lower in the boat and really like the bolster, and when we were deciding what to get on our new boat, she requested we add the flip up bolster. that was until she went on the demo and drove for herself.

def. add the plug n play... even if you do not need it yet, it is nice to be able to throw whatever size bag you want into the locker, and then fill it up if you need it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:24 am 
Axis Owner

kdub, these are the wheels that came on my vandall pkg http://www.gearalloy.com/718b not sure if it's the same on all of them. I think these are the wheels that came on the '09 trailer http://www.gearalloy.com/711mb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm 
Axis Owner

Let me know if you still need the Tire info, and I'll go take a look at mine for ya