It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Weight distribution when trailering
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 pm 
Team Axis

r33pwrd wrote:
Boatmate trailers had problems with low tounge weight. My a24 was 170lbs :( now up at 410 and much better! Get a scale off Amazon or find a local trailer shop with one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edit see you have a Malibu but trailer.. I would still check it. The axles can break in different and cause low going weight even if the trailer was bui lt correctly. A scale will tell you where to start..

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007REJTGI/re ... azbPNFM89M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:50 pm 
Team Axis

JohnnyK wrote:
steveA20 wrote:
I noticed my 16 A20 swaying a bit but as soon as i flipped my 2" hitch up to make it level it made a huge difference, I know shorter trailers tend to sway a little easier but just raising it those 2" and distributing the weight to both axles instead of more being on the front axle helped alot.

On a side note: Did u get your P&P figured out and get the vent items?

I will try weighing the tongue weight. I thought it would sway from too much weight on the back axle.

I have been really busy at work so haven't had a chance to send my bag I bought from wakemakers back yet, to get credit for my account. But I do have everything I need in my cart that I need now. Thanks again for all of your help. Hopefully I will have it all installed in two weeks once the weather and drift gets off of our lakes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much rear weight is the same as to little tounge weight ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm 
Team Axis

r33pwrd wrote:
Boatmate trailers had problems with low tounge weight. My a24 was 170lbs :( now up at 410 and much better! Get a scale off Amazon or find a local trailer shop with one.

What did you do to add the tongue weight? Did you get deeper drop off your hitch? Shouldn't that add more?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 pm 
Team Axis

JohnnyK wrote:
r33pwrd wrote:

What did you do to add the tongue weight? Did you get deeper drop off your hitch? Shouldn't that add more?

UHP replaced my axles and that helped but was still low so we clocked the rear axle down one notch on the spline (at the instruction of Boatmate and UHP the axle maker)

I would not do anything until you get a scale under it..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:03 pm 
Team Axis

If you can lift the tongue yourself (without getting a hernia) that's a good sign its not heavy enough..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:54 pm 
Team Axis

I didn't have issues with sway or anything towing my T22 at speeds of 75mph average however it was very light on tongue weight and caused my trucks rear end to bounce more until I added some bow weight. I also preferred towing with the fuel tank full as its mid/fwd so it would add some tongue weight. About 300lbs of lead weights in my bow made it much smoother towing. My new moomba tows great as is, they must've balanced things better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:58 am 
Team Axis

For longer trips where I am going that speed, i add water to the front bags. Then there is not an issue. But I get a lot of swaying at 65 especially if the gas tank is full

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:12 am 
Team Axis

Those of you who still wakeboard. Where do you keep your boards when trailering? I have been taking the bindings off every time, which can be a pain on getting the exact placement back where I like them set on the board.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:23 am 
Team Axis

JohnnyK wrote:
Those of you who still wakeboard. Where do you keep your boards when trailering? I have been taking the bindings off every time, which can be a pain on getting the exact placement back where I like them set on the board.

Under the seat behind the driver. I can fit either 4 surfboards or two wakeboards with bindings with one surfboard. Also on the port side I can put a wakeboard under that side seat. The A24 has storage advantages

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 am 

It is very likely that you need a drop hitch on your SUV. Most attach much higher then trucks because the hitches are normally level with the rear bumper. On our Tahoe we ran a 4" drop, on the explorer it was 2". My F250 (stock) its a 5" drop to keep the trailer balanced. In my experience wighting these trailers it should not look level, but tongue down when hooked up to your vehicle.

As for where we are keeping the board, if its a short trip we leave them on the racks, for long runs we put them on the floor on there sides and never have had a problem.