It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Storage Vs. Ballast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:33 pm 

Hey Guys,

I have been saving up to get some more ballast on my '15 A22 but I am getting some pushback from my wife on losing out on storage. We normally store our life jackets, fenders, anchor, ropes, and bunch of other junk we probably don't need.

So my question is, where/how do you store your gear if the rear lockers and bow is full of bags?

Thanks,
JT

Post subject: Re: Storage Vs. Ballast
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm 
Team Axis

SweetLily wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have been saving up to get some more ballast on my '15 A22 but I am getting some pushback from my wife on losing out on storage. We normally store our life jackets, fenders, anchor, ropes, and bunch of other junk we probably don't need.

So my question is, where/how do you store your gear if the rear lockers and bow is full of bags?

Thanks,
JT

I put all my orange CGA vests under the passenger dash. Have them in little plastic 4 packs, makes for nice organization. Ropes, handles, and a couple comp vests on the engine tray. Anchor, fenders, rope, cleaning supplies under the port bench. Cooler, trash, random things under the starboard bench. Backpacks, purses under the port side flip-up seat for easy access.

I still keep some vests in the rear compartments and the bags still fill all the way up and I've got room for a few of the vests on top still.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Ballast always wins over storage. You can find a spot for everything and still get a few vests on top of the ballast bags when they are full. Ballast make your surfing and wakeboarding better. You would be surprised what you can still get in the back of the boat even with larger bags.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:14 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
Ballast always wins over storage. You can find a spot for everything and still get a few vests on top of the ballast bags when they are full. Ballast make your surfing and wakeboarding better. You would be surprised what you can still get in the back of the boat even with larger bags.

This. I put life jackets on top of my 1100s and occasionally it pinches one against the side but for the most part they just stay on top. Keep at least 6 neoprene ones back there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 pm 
Team Axis

Boat size makes a difference as well if you notice some of our responses. An A22 pales in comparison to storage to a T23 or A24 (which are pretty much exact inside the cabin). We basically have an extra bench seat worth of storage space that the A22 does not. I literally have the following in my A24 and none of it is in the rear compartments: Driver's side bench seat - 4 surfboards under, 2 comp vests; Passenger side rear bench - 2 box anchors, 3 Exile fender balls (inflated), 2 noodles; Passenger side front bench - 48qt cooler, 2-3 1.75 liter bottles of booze, 1-2 half gallon cranberry juice (I entertain a lot); Battery compartment - 4 batteries, 50amp onboard charger, fire ext, first aid kit, 4pk orange vest, 3 other CGA vests, variety pack of lunchbox size chips, jumper cables, 1 Exile fender ball (inflated), and 1 goofy palm leaf beach hat; Glove box - extra board shorts, 2-3pr sunglasses, scuba mask, floating knife, small tool kit, sun screen, spare contact lens/solution; Engine tray - 2 wake ropes with handles, surf rope, 4 stretch n' slide dock lines, and a 20pc Bush's chicken tenders with country gravy and biscuits (yes...I really do have this almost everyday and the engine keeps it warm)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm 
Team Axis

I have 600lb bags in the back of my 15 A22 with the bow bag in front and I've never ran out of storage, even with 12+ in the boat.

On top of the rear sacs there is lots of space and I keep 2 inflated exile balls in there. If we have a bunch food for a big crew, then food bags will usually go back there too. Ropes and wet vests go in the tray. Orange vests under the port seats. Tools, cleaning supplies, extra hoodies, towels, backpacks etc under the port dash. box anchor, spike and cooler under the starboard seats. And sandals get stacked up behind the driver seat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:48 pm 

Thanks for the feed back guys. I feel muuuuch better now :D .

I am about to pull the trigger on this package in the next 1-2 weeks.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=7111

AJ you are crazy...I thought I had a lot of gear!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Team Axis

SweetLily wrote:

If I were you, I'd get the WakeMakers sacs, they are laser fit to the Axis compartments and they have larger diameter fill/drain ports which should reduce time dealing with ballast. Also the shape of the FlyHigh 750's is too long to fit in the Axis rear compartments so they will pinch off the front where it dips down to the rear seats where the fill tube is so the bags won't be filling up all the way. The WakeMakers (and Ronix 2017 bags) have a hip in them to fit under the front compartment wall to the fill port.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:25 pm 
Team Axis

80AMT23 wrote:
SweetLily wrote:

If I were you, I'd get the WakeMakers sacs, they are laser fit to the Axis compartments and they have larger diameter fill/drain ports which should reduce time dealing with ballast. Also the shape of the FlyHigh 750's is too long to fit in the Axis rear compartments so they will pinch off the front where it dips down to the rear seats where the fill tube is so the bags won't be filling up all the way. The WakeMakers (and Ronix 2017 bags) have a hip in them to fit under the front compartment wall to the fill port.

There are FatSacs made specifically for the Axis rear compartments. They are not in the package you linked above but you might be able to get boardstop to include the correct ones for a little more money.

I don't have any experience with the WakeMakers sacs. AFAIK no one around my lakes uses them but I have seen good reviews about them on this forum. Apparently they are about 825# vs 750# for the FatSacs.

I think you'd do well with either of those.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 am 
Team Axis

AJ also puts his excess crap on my rig... then I have no room for beer and La Roma pizza.

18 Monterey 278SSC