It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lowering/Raising V2 tower by yourself?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 am 
Team Axis

I don't see how the V2 tower is an upgrade. I'm not sure how one person can lower the tower by themselves. When you take out the top 2 screws, the lower is on a pivot, and it won't rest towards the outside of the boat because it has a pivot stop. So when you unscrew both sides you have to have another person holding the pivot arm or it will fall down onto the seat as you lift the tower upwards to free the arm to fold. It's kinda hard to explain, but anyone with a V2 will know what I'm saying. Any tips on doing this yourself? Same problems when raising the tower.

Post subject: Re: Lowering/Raising V2 tower by yourself?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 pm 
Boater

I've never raised/lowered the old tower so I cant make a comparison, but I've never had any difficulty raising/lowering the V2 alone. Every time I use the boat I raise/lower the tower twice. It stays up in my garage but needs to be lowered to fit through the door. There are only two screws on each side and the brackets only fold in. I swivel my drivers seat backwards so the bracket cant rest on the seat and I've never had an issue with the passenger side bracket touching the seat (I don't think it could unless I forced it).

I would say that one major improvement (aside from looks in my opinion) is that when folded the tower doesn't rest on the back pad, it rests on the brackets.

Process:
Swivel the drivers seat so it is facing backwards (to avoid resting the bracket on the seat).
Remove both screws from one side and lower the one bracket.
Remove one screw from the other side and loosen the second.
Lift the tower slightly with one arm while removing the second screw, lower the second bracket
Use both arms to lower the tower
Takes less than a minute.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 pm 
Team Axis

2015T22 wrote:

Thats where im having the problem. The tower bracket is on the outside of the bracket that it attaches to the tower. If I take the 2 screws out, the bracket wont lower unless the tower is raised a couple inches so it can clear the tower bracket.

Attachments:
File comment: bracket
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 202.54 KiB | Viewed 25203 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:27 pm 
Team Axis

I have done it myself a few times. But there is not really a way to do it that does not make me nervous and the consequences of one of the arms falling is not really worth the risk.

If you are stuck doing it yourself you just have to plan ahead and make sure drivers seat is forward and you have life jackets or other padding in the spots where the side arms are going to rest(I built stands to keep arms of vinyl) I use 2 5gal buckets for the tower with my cheap life jackets on top for padding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:34 pm 
Team Axis

The first time I did it myself one of the arms fell, but I had already put a pillow down luckily. But I cant seem to find a way to lower both brackets by hand and keep the tower up ya know? what a pain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
Team Axis

2015T22 wrote:
I've never raised/lowered the old tower so I cant make a comparison, but I've never had any difficulty raising/lowering the V2 alone. Every time I use the boat I raise/lower the tower twice. It stays up in my garage but needs to be lowered to fit through the door. There are only two screws on each side and the brackets only fold in. I swivel my drivers seat backwards so the bracket cant rest on the seat and I've never had an issue with the passenger side bracket touching the seat (I don't think it could unless I forced it).

I would say that one major improvement (aside from looks in my opinion) is that when folded the tower doesn't rest on the back pad, it rests on the brackets.

Process:
Swivel the drivers seat so it is facing backwards (to avoid resting the bracket on the seat).
Remove one screw from the other side and loosen the second.
Lift the tower slightly with one arm while removing the second screw, lower the second bracket
Use both arms to lower the tower
Takes less than a minute.

Maybe you could post a video?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 pm 
Team Axis

The only thing I don't like about my 2014 T22 is the V2 tower. Wish I had not let my dealer talk me into this. The standard tower would have been easier to raise/lower solo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 pm 
Team Axis

Raimie wrote:
Maybe you could post a video?

With him having a 2015 tower, I can only assume its much different/easier to lower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:52 am 
Team Axis

I will have to post up some pics. i have the V2 tower and lower it alone all the time. I use a 2x4 to assist. The brace/brackets on that hold the tower up remain on the outside of the tower as i lower it. I do not allow them to be folded in first and rest on my cushions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:53 pm 
Team Axis

x_40oz wrote:
I will have to post up some pics. i have the V2 tower and lower it alone all the time. I use a 2x4 to assist. The brace/brackets on that hold the tower up remain on the outside of the tower as i lower it. I do not allow them to be folded in first and rest on my cushions.

How do you hold the brace outside the tower? The brace only goes out a few inches before it stops, then you have to hold it or it will just fold back in.